15 December 2007

Snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef

I wish these pictures would be able to show more of how much I enjoyed our trip yesterday. Sadly, I didn't do the best job taking photos. Annette bought an underwater camera but will need to get the film developed before we have any of those pictures available. I was a bit nervous to go in the water, because I haven't really enjoyed previous salt water experiences in the past. But I was determined to try this once in a lifetime opportunity. George was a great swim buddy for the day and we did see some great coral and fish. There wasn't anything super exciting in the water that we saw, but for a first time snorkeler like me, I couldn't get enough. The water was clear and warm. The coral reef was amazing. There were coral of every color and shape. The best thing about the coral is that it is named as whatever it resembles above the water surface, for example we saw corals called brain, mushroom, staghorn, Christmas tree...
I thoroughly enjoyed the snorkeling experience and I won't be afraid again to try it if I get another chance. We had 3 hours of exploring underwater and I spent almost every minute in the sea.

Today (Sunday here) we decided to take a day off from touring. The environment here is amazing. I've been sitting outside a cafe in Palm Cove for nearly 3 hours, sorting out pictures to share. I've had a soy latte. I get distracted by every wave that rolls into shore. The sky is blue, but there are big gray clouds all around. Here it rains every morning and evening (must be seasonal). The temperature is balmy and breezy, perfect for sitting at an outdoor cafe like I've found. Tourist season picks up next week, so we pretty much have the whole place to ourselves. The internet connection is painfully slow, but what's the rush? The only thing I'm even tempted to do is to run into the sea and splash around, but without the stinger suit, I'm afraid for that. The stinger nets are placed on each beach for a small protected swimming area, but ours is about 1 km down the beach. For now I'll just enjoy the lush vegetation and the stunning view. Until it's time for lunch...hopefully that will be soon ;)

Great Barrier Reef

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Krissy,

We miss you, but I don't see you missing us with all the adventures that you and George are sharing. The Great Barrier Reef tourist home looked very exciting, I hope to get to see some of the pictures of the reef.

Peace

McMom

16/12/07 00:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home