01 February 2006

Missing!




It seems I've misplaced my USB connector for the camera to the laptop. I don't know if got left in Kenya (the last time I used it) or if it's just been misplaced with all the unpacking and rearranging we've been doing here. That doesn't mean the end of the blog, but it might seem a little empty for awhile without a visual on life here.
Here are some other senses for you to experience while the pictures stay stuck in the camera:
Hearing: Let me tell you about the radio we have in our rooms here at the CMC. There is a large box in each room that plays one radio station. It is a decent station, with some songs in English, some in Czech (I think) and maybe some songs in other languages as well. I have heard quite the mix of English songs though: Patrick Swayze's song for the "Dirty Dancing" soundtrack; Duran Duran; and Whitney Houston's "One Moment in Time" (a song I had never heard until we sang it for high school graduation in '96 and haven't heard since). At least the one radio station comes in clearly.
Smelling: Cooking (usually one of my favorite activities) has become a challenge with two hot plates, a wok, and a pot. What I really need is one of those 4 ingredients or less cookbooks. That still doesn't mean I can handle the recipe though, since we don't have an oven. And even the ones that can be done on the hot plate might not make it. Take tonight for example. I wasn't too excited to eat any more potatoes (Czech's really like potatoes, so I was going to try something else) so I thought some rice might be nice. Well, I haven't cooked rice in a pot in ages (thank you, rice cooker at home) so I did the best I could without my Joy of Cooking to refer to. I brought the rice to a boil and let it cook over medium heat for 20 minutes. At 18 minutes, I smelled burned rice. The rice was attached to the bottom of my brand new pot. And of course, the top layer was undercooked. Geo ate it anyway, it wasn't too bad. But so much for rice. And I hope my pot turns out okay. Anyway, the scent filled up the whole place and we had to air it out, which leads me to the next sense:
Feeling: All we feel is cold. The rooms are heated well enough for our desert blood, but due to the burned rice incident, we turned our rooms into freezers for a few minutes. It helped get the smell out, but it got really cold inside. 2 hours later and it's starting to warm up. Thanks also to a hot pot of tea.
I'll write some more about the other senses later. And I'll keep looking for the camera cord.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like primitive cooking is in line. Those Girl Scout and Boy Scout things in one pot over a fire. Hope you find you connector for the pix. Hopefully by now you have found it. No mention of school. Is it cold to study? Geo, your Aunt Winnie burned the back of her legs studying in France. She was backed up against a potbellied stove in a church to keep warm, according to your dad. Love, McMom

1/2/06 20:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home