28 January 2006

Goodbye summer, hello winter!

Oh my goodness, it is so cold in Prague! We arrived nearly on time last night, only about an hour or so late. We took a taxi to Celakovice and it took about 40 minutes. And we were going really really fast on some tiny roads (no traffic or cops, apparently, at midnight). So, we arrived and upon checking in, we got quickly unpacked and fell asleep. We had to be up before 9 am to get our breakfast (included in the stay). Breakfast was delicious--I love European food! Or maybe it's just the bread and butter I love so much...anyway, it was a nice start to our stay here.
After breakfast, Geo and I met up with two girls here from T-bird (Laura and Debbie) and we went into Prague on the train. This was after some hot beverages though, as it was really cold! I'm not quite sure what the temperature was this morning, but Geo was still able to run in his shorts...ice on the ground and all. So, we had hot drinks and went on the train. The train runs once an hour on the weekends and it takes about 35 minutes to get into the main part of Prague. It was awesome when we got there, and we walked around a bit to get our bearings. I had to buy a new scarf and mittens (I didn't bring any with me, since my Arizona clothes don't quite cut it for a true winter). We saw a bit of the old town and then we checked in our friends to a hostel (they're spending the night so they can see the opera tonight). We had a nice "traditional" Czech lunch, then we split off to go our separate ways. Geo and I had a few errands to run. On the agenda: IKEA, grocery shopping, and buying a new number for our cell phone. We wanted to get these done today, because who knows what we'll be able to do on Sunday (and really, tomorrow I need to do laundry)!
IKEA is half way between Prague and Celakovice. We got there easily from old town Prague via the metro, but getting home by the train would require us going back into old town. This would not be easily accomplished, with a big bag full from IKEA and several shopping bags of groceries. So, we had to cheat and take a taxi (yikes, that was almost $20 US). A small price to pay though for getting our little "house" up and running.
After IKEA, we went to a Hypermarket grocery store. It's huge and has everything under one roof...but nothing, absolutely nothing, is in English whatsoever. Talk about a hard shopping trip. Thankfully, Geo came in to rescue me, and we managed to get enough for a few meals on our own. With him pushing the cart, I could try to figure out what the labels meant. It was packed with people shopping and navigating and reading was more than I could handle. We ended up with chicken breasts, zucchini, red potatoes and a fresh loaf of whole wheat French bread. Everything has to be cooked on 2 burners on a hot plate. But, really, I can only use one burner, because the wok I bought is too big to fit at the same time with my 3 liter pot. Oh well!
Enough rambling now, can you tell I have good internet now and plenty of time to use it?!? The internet connection in our room is awesome. Maybe it won't be so fast when all the other students come and start hogging the bandwith, skyping all the time. Having said that, try to skype us whenever you want. Or else, I'll try to skype you!
We love Prague, even if it's freezing! You'll love it too if you can follow along with us and if you're planning to visit, make sure you let us know soon!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

IKEA was a real find. I hear you had to take a taxi back. Too many groceries and belongings I'll bet. Cold is not what we are used to here in AR. No snow. News said a "very cold night, down to 29 degrees". Keep up the good work. I won't be coming to Prague. Skype will be on my schedule. Love, McMom

28/1/06 16:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IKEA was a real find. I hear you had to take a taxi back. Too many groceries and belongings I'll bet. Cole is not what we are used to here in AR. No snow. News said a "very cold night cown to 29 degrees". Keep up the good work. I won't be coming to Prague. Skype will be on my schedule. Love, McMom

28/1/06 16:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home